Antivirus Giants Avast and Norton’s Parent Company Gen Digital Fall Victim to Cl0p Hacker Attack Exploiting MOVEit Vulnerability
Gen Digital, the parent company of antivirus developers Avast and Norton, has fallen victim to the Cl0p hacking group that exploits the MOVEit file sharing platform’s vulnerability. As a result of the attack, the cybercriminals captured the company employees’ personal data.
On June 20, Gen Digital confirmed that personal employee data, including names, home addresses, work IDs, and email addresses, were stolen as a result of a ransomware attack exploiting the MOVEit service vulnerability. Gen Digital explained that they tried to eliminate known vulnerabilities in the system, but they couldn’t avoid the attack. However, they managed to avoid damage to the company’s technological systems and services, and no customer or partner data were stolen.
A critical vulnerability, numbered CVE-2023-34362, was discovered in the MOVEit file sharing service. The vulnerability is exploited via SQL injection and is targeted by the Cl0p hacker group. Interestingly, the attack continued even after the patch closing the vulnerability was released, affecting over a hundred organizations. As additional protective measures, it is recommended to “hide” the application behind a VPN, a proxy server, or a landing page with an authorization form.
- I'm Vasyl Kolomiiets, a seasoned tech journalist regularly contributing to global publications. Having a profound background in information technologies, I seamlessly blended my technical expertise with my passion for writing, venturing into technology journalism. I've covered a wide range of topics including cutting-edge developments and their impacts on society, contributing to leading tech platforms.
- Troubleshooting15/11/2023Intel Fixes Critical Vulnerability Affecting All Processors – CVE-2023-23583
- Business15/11/2023Google Pays $8 Billion to Samsung for Default ‘Play Market’ and Search in Galaxy Devices
- Technology04/11/2023North Korea Upgrades Mobile Networks with Huawei Equipment Imports
- Technology03/11/2023Chinese Scientists Invent Passive Saltwater Cooler, Boosts CPU Speed by a Third