Apple Discontinues iPhone 13 Mini – iPhone SE Now the Most Compact Option with an Outdated Design
Apple has officially discontinued the iPhone 13 Mini, marking the end of the line for the last remaining model in the iPhone Mini series. This move comes as no surprise, as experts had previously predicted such a decision. For fans of compact smartphones, the Apple iPhone SE (third generation) remains available for purchase. However, according to PCMag, the iPhone SE is less powerful and features a dated design compared to other Apple smartphones currently on the market.
The iPhone 12 Mini was introduced in 2020, followed by the iPhone 13 Mini a year later. Apple positioned the iPhone Mini series as compact versions of its larger counterparts, offering the same design and capabilities as the larger iPhone 12 and 13 models. Both iPhone Mini models featured a compact 5.4-inch display and corresponding dimensions, measuring 131.5 x 64.2 x 7.4 or 7.65 mm (for the iPhone 12 Mini and 13 Mini, respectively), with a weight of 135 or 140 grams. For comparison, the iPhone 14 Pro Max boasts a 6.7-inch display, dimensions of 160.7 x 77.6 x 7.85 mm, and a weight of 240 grams.
The change in Apple’s product lineup occurred immediately after the unveiling of the iPhone 15 series, which now leads Apple’s offerings. Typically, the company keeps one or two older models available for sale as more budget-friendly options, and this year is no exception. The iPhone 15 Pro Max leads the lineup with a starting price of $1,199, followed by the iPhone 15 Pro starting at $999, the iPhone 15 Plus at $899, and the iPhone 15 at $799. The iPhone 14 and 14 Plus models are still available for $699 and $799, respectively, while the iPhone 13 is priced at $599. Bringing up the rear is the iPhone SE, priced at $429.
One of the biggest issues facing iPhone Mini models has been their relatively weak battery life, with the iPhone 13 Mini offering approximately 12 hours of battery life, according to PCMag’s test. Many users have also found the screen size to be limiting for typing. Nevertheless, the popularity of this series fell below expectations, and Apple did not introduce an iPhone 14 Mini in 2022. Although the company continued to produce the iPhone 13 Mini for another year, it has now closed this chapter in its history.
- I'm Martin Harris, a tech writer with extensive experience, contributing to global publications. Trained in Computer Science, I merged my technical know-how with writing, becoming a technology journalist. I've covered diverse topics like AI and consumer electronics, contributing to top tech platforms. I participate in tech events for knowledge updating. Besides writing, I enjoy reading, photography, and aim to clarify technology's complexities to readers.
- Unusual04/11/2023Japanese Scientists Develop Durable, Self-Healing, Biodegradable Plastic
- Blockchain03/11/2023Telegram’s TON Becomes World’s Fastest Blockchain, Outpaces Visa and MasterCard
- Internet27/10/2023Google Search Now Provides Source Data for Images
- Business26/10/2023Honor Leads Chinese Smartphone Market as vivo Falters, Apple Reclaims Top Three