“Ubuntu Cloud” refers to the use of the Ubuntu operating system within cloud computing environments. Ubuntu, a popular open-source Linux distribution, offers cloud-specific editions and tools that enable users to deploy, manage, and scale applications and services in cloud environments.
Ubuntu Cloud offerings include:
- Ubuntu Server: The standard Ubuntu Server edition can be used as a foundation for building cloud infrastructure. It provides a versatile and reliable platform for hosting virtual machines, containers, and applications in various cloud environments.
- Ubuntu Cloud Images: Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu, provides official cloud images that are optimized for specific cloud platforms such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), and others. These images include preconfigured software and settings, making it easier to deploy Ubuntu instances in the cloud.
- OpenStack: Ubuntu is a popular choice for deploying OpenStack, an open-source cloud computing platform that enables the creation and management of private and public clouds. The Ubuntu OpenStack distribution is known as “Ubuntu OpenStack,” and it includes tools for deploying, managing, and scaling OpenStack environments.
- Juju: Juju is an application modeling tool that simplifies the deployment and management of complex applications in cloud environments. It enables users to model and deploy services using “charms,” which are sets of scripts and configuration files. Juju is often used to deploy applications across multiple cloud platforms.
- MAAS (Metal as a Service): MAAS is an infrastructure automation tool that allows users to manage physical servers at scale. It can be used to deploy Ubuntu Server instances onto bare-metal hardware, helping to simplify the provisioning and management of cloud infrastructure.
- Ubuntu Advantage: Canonical offers Ubuntu Advantage, a support and management service that provides technical support, security updates, and management tools for Ubuntu-based cloud deployments.
Ubuntu Cloud’s flexibility, robustness, and compatibility with popular cloud platforms make it a favored choice for organizations looking to build, manage, and scale cloud infrastructure. It provides tools that enable developers and administrators to efficiently deploy and manage cloud-based applications, virtual machines, and containers while taking advantage of the benefits of cloud computing.