Hubble Telescope Captures Jellyfish Galaxy 700 Million Light-Years Away from Earth
The Hubble Space Telescope has relayed a snapshot of the jellyfish galaxy JO206, situated a whopping 700 million light-years away from Earth in the Aquarius constellation. Jellyfish galaxies are characterized by their so-called tendrils – long gaseous tails where star formation occurs.
The spiral galaxy is facing towards Earth and Hubble, hence, in the image from the space telescope, it appears as a colorful disk, surrounded by a nebulous cloud of matter. The streams of this matter indeed resemble the tentacles of a jellyfish. Jellyfish galaxies like JO206 are found in clusters and are distinguished by gaseous tails – matter ejected from the galaxies in the course of their movement.
These tendrils form as a result of the interaction between galaxies and the environment within the cluster – a sparse superheated plasma. Moving in the cluster area, the galaxies collide with its inner environment, and the free gas from these galaxies is stretched into long tails of star formation. This offers astronomers a unique opportunity to study star formation under extreme conditions far away from the main disk.
Notably, scientists have not been able to detect significant differences between the processes of star formation in the disks and tentacles of jellyfish galaxies. From this, researchers conclude that the environment surrounding young stars has only a minor influence on their formation.
- I'm Vasyl Kolomiiets, a seasoned tech journalist regularly contributing to global publications. Having a profound background in information technologies, I seamlessly blended my technical expertise with my passion for writing, venturing into technology journalism. I've covered a wide range of topics including cutting-edge developments and their impacts on society, contributing to leading tech platforms.
- Troubleshooting15/11/2023Intel Fixes Critical Vulnerability Affecting All Processors – CVE-2023-23583
- Business15/11/2023Google Pays $8 Billion to Samsung for Default ‘Play Market’ and Search in Galaxy Devices
- Technology04/11/2023North Korea Upgrades Mobile Networks with Huawei Equipment Imports
- Technology03/11/2023Chinese Scientists Invent Passive Saltwater Cooler, Boosts CPU Speed by a Third