Leading Chinese RISC-V Developers Form Patent Alliance
Nine prominent Chinese companies specializing in research and development of open architecture RISC-V chips have announced the formation of the China RISC-V Industry Alliance. This initiative was unveiled at the RISC-V industry forum in Shanghai at the end of August 2023.
The alliance includes T-Head (owned by the Alibaba Group Holding), VeriSilicon Microelectronics, Xinlai Technology, Shanghai Saifang Technology, Shanghai Shiqing Technology, Juquan Optoelectronics, Shanghai Hengrui Intellectual Property Services Co., Ltd., Xinsiyuan Microelectronics, and StarFive (supported by Baidu Corporation).
Under the agreement, alliance members commit not to sue each other for patent infringement related to RISC-V architecture technologies. The formed structure aims to exchange patents among its members and license them to third parties on behalf of the alliance.
The project’s goal is to create a “healthy ecosystem for open-source chip development and promote the rapid growth of the RISC-V platform.” This is particularly significant in light of strict sanctions imposed by the United States, which have restricted Chinese companies’ access to advanced microprocessor production solutions.
For RISC-V companies, this collaboration can expedite their entry into the commercial market with reduced costs. If leading Chinese semiconductor manufacturers can collectively utilize RISC-V intellectual property, the prospect of local suppliers closing the gap with foreign competitors appears more plausible.
- I'm Martin Harris, a tech writer with extensive experience, contributing to global publications. Trained in Computer Science, I merged my technical know-how with writing, becoming a technology journalist. I've covered diverse topics like AI and consumer electronics, contributing to top tech platforms. I participate in tech events for knowledge updating. Besides writing, I enjoy reading, photography, and aim to clarify technology's complexities to readers.
- Unusual04/11/2023Japanese Scientists Develop Durable, Self-Healing, Biodegradable Plastic
- Blockchain03/11/2023Telegram’s TON Becomes World’s Fastest Blockchain, Outpaces Visa and MasterCard
- Internet27/10/2023Google Search Now Provides Source Data for Images
- Business26/10/2023Honor Leads Chinese Smartphone Market as vivo Falters, Apple Reclaims Top Three