WhatsApp Introduces Phone Number Privacy Feature, Allowing Users to Hide Their Phone Numbers
WhatsApp is testing a new feature called “Phone Number Privacy” in its beta versions for Android and iOS. This feature enables users to completely hide their phone numbers within WhatsApp communities. Initially, participant numbers in public chats were hidden from each other, but administrators’ numbers remained visible to all. Additionally, when a participant reacted to a community announcement message, their number became public.
To address this, WhatsApp has added a new privacy option that allows users to hide their phone numbers. When activated, users are notified that their number is only visible to the community administrator and those who have access to the number from other chats. To communicate with someone who has hidden their number, users must send a request to obtain their contact information. Currently, the feature is available to selected beta testers on Google Play and the App Store and is limited to communities. However, WhatsApp plans to expand the feature to other groups and a wider audience in the future.
- I'm Vasyl Kolomiiets, a seasoned tech journalist regularly contributing to global publications. Having a profound background in information technologies, I seamlessly blended my technical expertise with my passion for writing, venturing into technology journalism. I've covered a wide range of topics including cutting-edge developments and their impacts on society, contributing to leading tech platforms.
- Troubleshooting15/11/2023Intel Fixes Critical Vulnerability Affecting All Processors – CVE-2023-23583
- Business15/11/2023Google Pays $8 Billion to Samsung for Default ‘Play Market’ and Search in Galaxy Devices
- Technology04/11/2023North Korea Upgrades Mobile Networks with Huawei Equipment Imports
- Technology03/11/2023Chinese Scientists Invent Passive Saltwater Cooler, Boosts CPU Speed by a Third