Wind Energy Soars High: Global Installed Capacity Reaches 1 Terawatt Milestone
The global installed wind energy capacity has reached a significant milestone of 1 terawatt (TW) in June 2023, according to the Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC). This landmark achievement, which has been around 40 years in the making, is expected to double even quicker. Nevertheless, it’s just the beginning of a journey that needs to be traversed at an increasingly faster pace.
The concept of wind turbines and generators was first seriously experimented with by Danish engineers, beginning in the 1970s. Today’s wind power installations largely rely on the designs and developments from these Scandinavian researchers, hence GWEC chose this as the starting point for global wind energy measurements.
The record was announced on Twitter by representatives from the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC): “Good news. After 40 years, the global installed wind energy capacity reached 1 terawatt this month. And the shift to renewable energy is accelerating. Estimates suggest the 2 terawatt milestone will be reached before the end of the decade.”
According to the GWEC, the 2 TW milestone for installed wind energy capacity is projected to be achieved in less than seven years. However, on a global scale, the goal is to deploy at least 8 TW of wind power stations by 2050 to meet previously set climate targets. “There is no time, and there is no need to hesitate,” stated Jonathan Cole, the GWEC chairman. Without such an increase in renewable energy, he warned of an impending ecological catastrophe.
- I'm Vasyl Kolomiiets, a seasoned tech journalist regularly contributing to global publications. Having a profound background in information technologies, I seamlessly blended my technical expertise with my passion for writing, venturing into technology journalism. I've covered a wide range of topics including cutting-edge developments and their impacts on society, contributing to leading tech platforms.
- Troubleshooting15/11/2023Intel Fixes Critical Vulnerability Affecting All Processors – CVE-2023-23583
- Business15/11/2023Google Pays $8 Billion to Samsung for Default ‘Play Market’ and Search in Galaxy Devices
- Technology04/11/2023North Korea Upgrades Mobile Networks with Huawei Equipment Imports
- Technology03/11/2023Chinese Scientists Invent Passive Saltwater Cooler, Boosts CPU Speed by a Third