Windows 11 Update Leads to “Unsupported Processor” Blue Screen of Death
Recent reports confirm that a Windows 11 issue has emerged, causing blue screens of death (BSOD) with the error message “UNSUPPORTED_PROCESSOR.” The problem arises following the installation of the monthly update package KB5029351, which started rolling out earlier this week.
According to Microsoft’s statement that appeared in the Windows Health Center, “We are currently investigating to determine whether this issue is caused by Microsoft actions. We will provide more details when additional information becomes available.”
Sources suggest that the mentioned error is occurring after the update is installed on computers with specific models of MSI motherboards. For instance, the update triggers BSOD on computers equipped with an Intel Core i9-13900KS processor and the MSI MPG Z690 Carbon Wi-Fi motherboard. Reddit users have also reported similar errors, but all instances involve Intel processors and MSI motherboards with the latest BIOS version.
The silver lining is that users facing BSOD can resolve the issue by rolling back the changes made by the update. Microsoft appears to have removed the KB5029351 update from affected systems, yet it remains available for installation on compatible Windows 11 devices. The exact cause of the BSOD remains uncertain, but it’s possible that recent BIOS updates released by MSI for their motherboards could be a contributing factor. Official representatives from MSI have yet to comment on this matter.
As users navigate the complexities of software updates and compatibility, this incident underscores the importance of thorough testing and communication by software developers to ensure smooth and error-free user experiences.
- I'm Vasyl Kolomiiets, a seasoned tech journalist regularly contributing to global publications. Having a profound background in information technologies, I seamlessly blended my technical expertise with my passion for writing, venturing into technology journalism. I've covered a wide range of topics including cutting-edge developments and their impacts on society, contributing to leading tech platforms.
- Troubleshooting15/11/2023Intel Fixes Critical Vulnerability Affecting All Processors – CVE-2023-23583
- Business15/11/2023Google Pays $8 Billion to Samsung for Default ‘Play Market’ and Search in Galaxy Devices
- Technology04/11/2023North Korea Upgrades Mobile Networks with Huawei Equipment Imports
- Technology03/11/2023Chinese Scientists Invent Passive Saltwater Cooler, Boosts CPU Speed by a Third